Friday, June 27, 2014

Welcome

Hello Music Lovers!

My name is Randy Harris, aka Ragin' Randy, and I am beginning this blog featuring music news, reviews and adventures. I have a Bachelor's degree in Music Business and Communications, I write concert and album reviews for a few different websites (including Grateful Music, Live Music Daily and the dBraker Blog), and most importantly, I LOVE MUSIC!



I grew up in Memphis, Tennessee, listening to mostly jazz, blues and classic rock with my dad. Like many of my generation, my dad and I used to listen to classic rock radio stations and every other song, Dad would say, "Band?" and I would have to figure it out. All the way until after I graduated high school, I was convinced that no good music had been made since the '80s. Then, I moved to Madison, Wisconsin for college. During my time in my favorite city to date, my mind was opened in more ways than one. It was there that I was introduced to the incredible world of Trance and Techno music. I spent over 3 years as a die hard raver, going to massive raves in Chicago and Milwaukee, and I even drove with a few friends down to Florida for my 21st birthday to see Tiesto.

Finally, in 2009, 2 of my best friends convinced me to go to a Phish show with them. That was a wild weekend. I drove to Chicago that Friday to see deadmau5 with my raver friends, then took a 3 am bus to Cincinnati after the show to meet up with my friends to catch the second night of Phish Saturday night. I was immediately hooked. Since then, my taste has broadened to include most of the jam scene (including the bluegrass subgenres), most genres of dance music (primarily melodic trance, house and bass music), as well as my jazz, blues and rock roots.

Back in Memphis these days, I continue to attend shows as consistently as possible in order to improve my writing and reviews. I am also a musician. I have played guitar since I was 13, and I played percussion in my high school honor band. I have also been DJing and producing my own dance music since I was 22. I look forward to seeing all of you out on tour!

- Ragin' Randy



No comments:

Post a Comment